1. When they moved out, their apartment was a mess, so they didn't get their cleaning ____ back.
2. Your airline ticket is ______________. I am afraid there is no way we can return your money.
3. It is very difficult to buy a house in the United States without a _______. The bank needs to know whether or not you pay your bills on time.
4. He wasn't accepted to the university because he sent in his ______ too late.
5. When I applied for the job, I listed you as a ____. If they call, tell them good things about me.
6. The form was in Spanish, so I couldn't ___________ it __________.
7. He is looking for a _____ apartment because he is only staying in New York for three months.
8. Several ____________ in my apartment building complained because the elevator didn't work.
9. Hopefully, the __________ will hire someone to fix the elevator soon. I told him I am sick of walking up the stairs!
10. Janet is going to study in Italy for six months, so she is trying ____________ her apartment.
Rewrite the sentences below using the word "get" to replace one of the verbs or an entire verb phrase. The first sentence has been done for you.
1. Did you understand what she said? It was really confusing.
2. When I arrived there at 6 o'clock, the office was closed. I couldn't look at the apartment.
Focus on Verbs
The following passage should be completed by putting the verb in parentheses in the Simple Past or the Past Perfect.
I Got the Apartment!
I can't believe I (get) ______ that apartment. I (submit) ______ my application last week, but I didn't think I had a chance of actually getting it. When I (show) ______ up to take a look around, there were at least twenty other people who (arrive) ____ before me. Most of them (fill, already) __ out their applications and were already leaving. The landlord said I could still apply, so I did.
I (try) _____ to fill out the form, but I couldn't answer half of the questions. They (want) _____ me to include references, but I didn't want to list my previous landlord because I (have) ____ some problems with him and I knew he wouldn't recommend me. I (end) ___ up listing my father as a reference.
It was total luck that he (decide) ___ to give me the apartment. It turns out that the landlord and my father (go) ________ to high school together. He decided that I could have the apartment before he (look) ______ at my credit report. I really lucked out!
Последнее изменение этой страницы: 2018-09-12;